[Owasp-board] OWASP Project Committee

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Sep 17 09:15:29 UTC 2014

Jim,

After  I sent the draft to the owasp list, I received a request to be part
of the committee from the following members
Carlos Allende
Azzedine Menouchi
Amro
Christian Ducharme

Christian is a relative new volunteer and had made some valuable
contributions reviewing some of the projects

Other members have provided their feedback but I must say I wish the
participation into reviews was much higher, however most people struggle to
be committed to do this because of the amount of work involved into
testing  Owasp projects.it sounds simple, but consuming hardly well
documented owasp projects , Configuring and install them can be
challenging, especially those ones that are not click and install.

Being that said, and based on my experience, what I expect from these
members is feedback when proposing guidelines.

In the past, project review committees and technical board failed because
it was expected that volunteer members will be doing these kind of work.
Unfortunately, experience have shown that we cannot expect this because
most volunteers do not have the time and regular commitment to do this,
therefore my focus has been to automate some of these tasks and create an
analysis structure where we focus on some key indicators. eventually we
might create a budget to hire , when necessary, a tester/programmer to
support us with some of these tasks as we are about to do, by configuring
the builds into the VM machine and be able to smoke test using automated
tools such as Ranorex.

I have been managing with Kait must of the work of with the communication
and status of the projects through JIRA, so we have a history of the
actions per projects.

My personal situation will also change in the future , so all the work I
have done so far, will be done in cycles to allow a realistic planning. We
have been able to clean the inventory and set a process for reviews, based
on the actual resources.

This is what I can offer as a volunteer and member of a this committee.
This is what we can achieve as a team based of previous experiences,
successes and fails.

Let me know as a board if you want to move fwd with the proposal and the
committee based on the actual situation

Regards

Johanna