[Owasp-board] Staring projects - incubators new guidelines, process and rules

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Sep 10 12:11:20 UTC 2014

Hi All

Based on the last discussion regarding the process of starting a new
project, I have created an Ideas Page:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Project_Ideas_Board

The steps to start a new project are
*Submit your idea to the project ideas group and research*
This group will be moderated by the Committee, so I can guide leaders on
similar type of projects when submitting ideas
I hope in the coming months to develop a mapping of the areas projects are
working on, so this will make it easier for new people to start a project
and cover an area that has a big gap. For example, we have a lot of Broken
apps in  languages such as  php and java and maybe someone would like to
create one in Rails for example and be aware that there are already 5
broken apps in PHP but none in Ruby on rails.

We need to think strategically to guide people into producing projects with
real value for the community. There are right now many projects that have
little audience(basically no one is using them)  because of this or because
they tend to create projects that are based on other projects and a
tendency to repeat the same without a unique selling proposition or angle.
We need to guide projects into producing a "product" of value and think
more as entrepreneur and researchers instead of fun hobby projects. The
most successful ones are definitely not treating their projects as a pure
fun hobby but as serious products. So what do we want? be a nest for
hobbies or be a nest of valuable projects for the community?

 We want to be able to see the submissions of New projects and I have asked
Kate to FWD the submissions.I assume with this new process, we will have a
higher bar so we get less empty projects.

I have also updated this info on
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project#tab=Starting_a_New_Project

and will keep updating this in the coming months

I appreciate your comments and feedback although when providing feedback
keep in mind that any changes you would like to see must be based on
realistic situation and resources.

We struggle to get volunteers to do reviews and any thing that we would
like to see, think on how to execute realistically based on actual
resources. I based my strategy on this.I cant do much with wonderful ideas
but no resources to execute them

regards

Johanna