[Owasp-board] board meeting agenda: motion to add item about AppSec conferences

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Sep 9 14:42:22 UTC 2014

FYI, I have added another topic that is along the same vein as the ones
Tobias added:

*Default allocation of membership at conferences *
Going with the topic of profit share, I would also like to discuss the
allocation of membership fees at conferences. With the move to Salesforce
as the conference platform, the allocation changed from defaulting to the
chapters to defaulting to the Foundation. As an example, the LASCON
registration now reads "If you choose membership, and wish to have 40% of
your fee allocated to your local chapter, please indicate which Chapter".
Under the RegOnline system, however, this was a drop-down box with a list
of the Foundation, all chapters, and projects with the local chapter
organizing the event being the default selection. I'm not sure why we are
taking money away from the chapters like this when these members are
clearly being recruited by events organized by the local chapters.

I have reported this issue on behalf of the LASCON team twice now and it
was also mentioned to me by a leader of another OWASP conference.

~josh