[Owasp-board] Proposing New Process to Accept Incubator projects

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Mon Sep 1 20:52:32 UTC 2014

Hi Johanna,

small question:
Could you please provide the link to the "IDEAS incubator page"?

In principle, these requirements look simple enough.
It is important in my eyes that it is easy for people to start things.

One remark:
your point #2 about objections "Does anyone has any objections to
his/her project(reactions from leaders/community)?Please, create a
summary of objections"
I think this is worded in a potentially misleading or ambiguous way:
- the only relevant objections should be procedural problems like breach
of brand usage, company logos, or that the topic is obviously not about
security, etc.
We should not ask about objections on the content or theme.

Maybe a thought:
in theory, "incubator" could have been as the name suggests a project
that is not yet standing on its own feet, so we should be relatively
open easy on it.
Problems might have come potentially from that we grant full project
benefits for projects in incubator status and also did not have the
resources to move projects from incubator to normal status quickly.
Personally, I will admit as project lead I never really bothered with
which level (incubator, ...) my project has as long as people are using
it and working on it.

It might be worth thinking about how we can move projects to the next
stage above incubator (when they qualify) relatively quickly and then
give more promotion and visibility to these projects.

IMO, it is essential in the OWASP spirit that projects can be started as
easily and quickly as possible (the process to jump through all the
hoops should not take longer then 3 days (absolute maximum 7 days)). If
this is not possible with the new proposed process steps, I would
suggest to cut them. If this is a problem, I would also be open to
create a pre-project / pre-incubator stage at which a project can start
with at least page edits and a mailing-list.

My 2cents,

Tobias