[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] Please provide a status update to the membership

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Oct 15 15:25:29 UTC 2014

Andrew,

We fully understand and appreciate your concerns.  In keeping with your
incident response analogy, what you are asking for is equivalent to
notifying the customer prior to determining the scope and impact of the
incident.  Do you send a mass email to your customers every time you get an
anti-virus alert or do you investigate it first to determine what happened
and what all is affected?  We have received an alert (ie. been notified of
the issue), acknowledged it with stakeholders (ie. the Leaders list), and
are actively investigating.  Once the scope and impact has been determined
we will be in a better position to assess our next steps.  The ops team is
actively working on this.  Please give them a chance to do their job and we
will communicate once we have more information.  The update right now is
that the operations team has acknowledged the complaint and is working on
determining what the issue is.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol
On Oct 15, 2014 9:50 AM, "Andrew Muller" <andrew.muller at owasp.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>> ineligible to stand?
>>>
>>> * Are all membership renewals (paid, lifetime, and honorary) submitted
>>> prior to September 30 now processed?
>>>
>>> * If so, is there an up to date membership list that does not date
>>> back to April 8, 2014? Can this be added to the OWASP Board 2014
>>> elections page?
>>>
>>> * As the CRM process wasn't working for some time, what steps are the
>>> Board putting into place to ensure that it is fixed and monitored for
>>> the next election?
>>>

>>> These questions have to be answered. No answer is simply not an
>>> option. I don't mind if you take these on notice and reply in pieces,
>>> but please communicate frequently, openly and honestly with us.
>>>
>>> I know the vote is open until next week, but I feel that even if there
>>> are only a handful of members piping up on the Leaders mailing list
>>> today, the CRM process has been broken for at least two months, which
>>> covers about 15% of members. It may have been broken as far back as
>>> April 8 when the membership list was seemingly last generated, which
>>> covers around 45-50% of the members.
>>>
>>> Simply enrolling those who pipe up in one venue misses those who don't
>>> hang out on the Leaders list and disenfranchises those who might have
>>> wanted a say in OWASP's future. If this is actually a small issue, it
>>> should be easy to determine: compare July, August's and September's
>>> membership totals with that from the year before. If the totals are
>>> reduced, then there is a problem of a known magnitude. But without an
>>> accurate and up to date membership list, we cannot determine if there
>>> are disenfranchised members or how many have been potentially
>>> disenfranchised.
>>>
>>> I gave the ops team nearly two month's notice that something wasn't
>>> right, and stayed in fairly constant communication during that time. I
>>> even gave a heads up about my fellow candidates, who I sincerely hope
>>> have their membership sorted so OWASP members have a geographically
>>> varied and interesting selection of candidates to choose from.
>>>
>>> I've been here since very nearly the beginning, I don't think I've
>>> ever seen such disarray in our internal processes, especially such key
>>> processes that directly elect the Board.
>>>
>>> I implore the Board to take this very seriously. Please communicate
>>> clearly and frequently with us on next steps. If the Board or the
>>> Foundation needs time - more time than there exists until the end of
>>> voting, I am more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt to
>>> ensure that we have an open, transparent membership and voting system
>>> with integrity for a vote to be open to all members, not just those
>>> unaffected by the technical glitches. I can't speak for the other
>>> candidates, but please ask them too. I'd rather this be done right.
>>>
>>> I am reachable on +61 451 057 580 <%2B61%20451%20057%20580> if you want
>>> a chat, but I am UTC+11,
>>> which makes it tricky during US business hours.

>>> Andrew