[Owasp-board] Additional Brand Abuse

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Nov 18 17:44:41 UTC 2014

The language in the add is:

"OWASP Top Ten Web Scanner", which I feel is wrong. There are several areas
which DAST scanners cannot assess in the Top Ten, to say the least.

This leads to "OWASP Top Ten Education" and "OWASP Top Ten Code Analysis"
which blurs the line between the OWASP brand and the commercial world.

Also, from my research I've noted that all of the foundations similar to
OWASP have much more clear rules about brand usage. I hope the board is
interested in some kind of cleanup. The current brand guidelines are vague
to some degree.

Aloha,
--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Nov 18, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Paul Ritchie <paul.ritchie at owasp.org> wrote:

Jim, Josh, all:

I tend to agree with the "Lets be vigilant & educate the community, rather
than 'police' the community" approach.

Noreen Whysel, our new Community Manager, has training, education &
Community outreach in her area of responsibility.  One training topic could
easily be "Cool OWASP Marketing tools, and How to Use the OWASP Brand/Logo".

Unless we see a truly blatant case of misuse, I'll be asking Noreen to go
down the education path first.
Paul

Best Regards, Paul Ritchie
OWASP Interim Executive Director