[Owasp-board] Access Granted.- Research Follow up

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Mon Nov 17 09:05:21 UTC 2014

Paul,

I don't know why Tom has asked these questions, but regular reviews of
privileged access is absolutely standard operating practice in any ISO
27002 compliant organisation. I would be surprised if it wasn't part of the
BAU processes here; we should be doing it, and we should be doing it at an
above average standard considering our mission.

Periodic reviews of administrative roles and privileges is an important
control to ensure the right people have the privileges necessary to perform
their jobs (and no more).

With many organisations losing control of their domains and websites due to
the lack of what I would consider baseline security practices for system
administrators, it's important for an organisation such as OWASP to protect
its reputation and core assets by practicing what it preaches in relation
to identity and access management, and to avoid damage to the brand in case
of any breach. We are the keymasters to a lot of folk's identities, and
with that is an implied level of trust and due care on our part to protect
our users and our data.

thanks,
Andrew