[Owasp-board] Additional Conference policies

Tom Brennan - proactiveRISK tomb at proactiverisk.com
Wed May 14 22:14:14 UTC 2014

I think your looking at it wrong.

The context is more about supporters who market the event as a "come see XYZ vendor at the event use code #xyz for discount off admission or to get a free shirt/gift at the booth etc.. This is not a member PII item rather a clarification on a policy for conference : training events that  should not even be a board list ask for yes/no.. The leaders list or a blog post with a request for comment is likely more appropriate. As a conference you new to offer those bi-directional opportunities to promote the event and the supporter IMHO.

I support sponsor promotional codes and did so at OWASP AppSecUSA2013/LASCON/Nova/<insert> event these are OWASP events.

What was a violation was vendors standing/guarding the doors to the conference rooms scanning people as they entered the room. Had to tell A sponsor to STOP that aggressive sales/marketing practice as it was a violation of my personal privacy as a individual + as a Owasp event was not authorized.

So perhaps that sheds some color to that..

Photography, videos etc at the event should be on the receipt as the event wants to promote the event before, during and after.  The privacy issue is rather simple if you don't want to be on camera decline the opportunity.

The speakers, the staff, the projects NEED visibility inline with the mission so all promotional activities are welcomed to promote software security.

So yes to the second item too.

Tom Brennan
1-973-202-0122