[Owasp-board] PROPOSAL: Quarterly Updates by ED on Progress Towards Strategic Goals

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed May 7 16:58:13 UTC 2014

I think that the schedule (doing it in correlation with the quarterly
meetings) is a good thing.  I guess what I'm really asking is more for a
focus on how our activities relate to our strategic goals, rather than just
a list of things that staff has done.  The problem that I'm seeing is that
the Board set a direction, but we left it up to the operations team to
determine how to execute on that vision.  We have Board members sponsoring
these goals that have not been engaged on the ongoing activities and when
we review, we review as tasks rather than milestones.  I'd like to see the
overall plan.  Here's an example:

For goal X we took the Board's direction and broke it down into the
following deliverable milestones.  Employee Y completed this milestone on
this date.  We expect to have the following milestones complete by this
other date.  We are on target to meet this goal by the specified completion
date.

To summarize, think of the goals as projects with the metrics of success as
the milestones.  Think of the Board sponsor as a part of the core project
team with the other Board members as key stakeholders.  Develop a
communication plan and keep us in the loop.

Michael, I think a simple "yes, I think I would like quarterly updates on
strategic goals" or "no, I think it would be a waste of our time" would be
fine here.  No need to formalize anything.  I'd like more visibility into
our operations (my fiduciary responsibility) and I feel like this gets us
there without being overly intrusive.  I'm not asking for a formal Board
vote.  I'm asking if others feel the same way.

~josh