[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Austin Video Archive

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri May 2 19:00:56 UTC 2014

Jonathan,

I guess that I missed the e-mail where you made a formal announcement that
the Foundation had decided to kill the vimeo account and go with Youtube
instead.  Mind forwarding it or pointing me to a link for the archive?  I
want to make sure that I fully understand the work that has happened so
far.  In general, I support your efforts to consolidate our videos into a
single location and don't necessarily have a preference as long as it has
similar abilities to what we've been using with Vimeo:

1) Ability to upload videos of different codecs/formats
2) Ability to give videos a unique title
3) Ability to tag a video with keywords
4) Ability to select the still frame that is used for the video thumbnail
5) Ability to create channels to host videos of a similar type
6) Ability to upload videos without size or time restrictions between
uploads

As long as those are available, could you please direct me to the
instructions for leaders on how to upload content into Youtube instead?
Before anyone decides to drop payment on Vimeo, I'd like for someone to
make sure that all content has been migrated over to the new platform.
This includes the OWASP Austin content from meetings (
http://vimeo.com/channels/owaspaustin), as well as LASCON 2010 (
http://vimeo.com/user5484916/videos), LASCON 2011 (Looking for these), and
LASCON 2013 (http://vimeo.com/channels/lascon2013).

As for cancelling GoToWebinar in favor of Google Hangout, again, I'm not
necessarily opposed as long as we can verify a similar set of functionality
to what we currently use:

1) Ability to allow up to 1000 participants
2) Ability to field questions and chat with participants
3) Ability to call into meeting from a landline
4) Dial-in numbers from various countries as well as toll-free numbers
5) Ability to view content without seeing webcams
6) Ability to record content without recording webcams
7) Ability for a moderator to mute other parties except for the speaker
without ability to unmute

I'm sure there are other things that I'm not thinking off right now as
well.  Why didn't we think of contacting the OWASP Media Project?  To be
fair, we've been providing video content for OWASP since 2010 and the OWASP
Media Project has less than 9 months under it's belt.  I could also flip
that question and say that knowing that we had content out there already
for the community, why didn't the OWASP Media Project think to contact us?
The OWASP Austin Chapter, between it's 9 meetings a year and 4 years of
LASCON/AppSecUSA2012 could possibly double your current content.  Rather
than expecting individuals to engage you, maybe you should be engaging the
individuals?

Ultimately, you're absolutely right.  OWASP should have a consolidated
video effort and my e-mail was mostly meant to just show other chapters
what is possible and to highlight the efforts of the OWASP Austin chapter.
Regardless of whether or not you like Vimeo, the fact that all of that
content exists is a net positive for OWASP.  So, absolutely, I will support
your efforts.  From here, let's take the conversation offline and figure
out what tool(s) will meet our requirements and come up with a plan to
migrate all content, if necessary.  I'm excited to see what we can do with
this.

~josh