[Owasp-board] Update to Bylaws

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sat Mar 22 00:39:04 UTC 2014


If its gotten to this point I think its clear that we've moved beyond the
point where the community manager would get involved.   I'd like to hope
that they are engaged enough with the chapters to know about these problems
before someone is getting kicked out because of it.  If we are removing
someone from the organization it should be because the Board supports the
move.  Our community manager should never be pitted against the community
as its counter-productive.  I don't think we should change it as Tom
proposed.

~josh
On Mar 21, 2014 6:53 PM, "GK Southwick" <genevieve.southwick at owasp.org>
wrote:

> Completely fair and I believe that that was what Tom was suggesting, only
> that it shouldn't go straight to the BoD, unless there is no other
> recourse. We now have a Community Manager to handle mitigation, without
> having to involve the board in every little dispute.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I know that completely ostracizing someone from the
> community is not a  "little" dispute, by any means. But I also believe that
> there's a time and place for escalation and we can start every appeal at a
> lower level than the BoD.
>
> -= GK
>
> Community Manager
> OWASP Foundation
>
> gksouthwick at owasp.org <gk at owasp.org>
> +01.415.742.2342
>
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> Since this is about someone getting pushed out of the community in a big
>> way, something against our DNA, I want to make sure they have the ability
>> to appeal to the board after the community review process is complete. Fair?
>>
>> --
>> Jim Manico
>> @Manicode
>> (808) 652-3805
>>
>> On Mar 22, 2014, at 5:58 AM, GK Southwick <genevieve.southwick at owasp.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Absolutely. We don't need to escalate it to BoD review, unless we can't
>> agree to disagree at the community level first.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> -= GK
>>
>> Community Manager
>> OWASP Foundation
>>
>> gksouthwick at owasp.org <gk at owasp.org>
>> +01.415.742.2342
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Tom Brennan <tomb at owasp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> " notifying the OWASP Board of Directors in writing within 14 days of
>>> the original notification"
>>>
>>> notifying the OWASP Community Manager in writing within 14 days of the
>>> original notification
>>>
>>> What that does is allow the staff to look at the issue.  If
>>> satisfaction resolution to either party is not made then it can be go
>>> on the agenda for a board meeting discussion.
>>>
>>>
>>> Semper Fi,
>>>
>>> Tom Brennan | OWASP Foundation
>>> Vice Chairman
>>> Main: +1 973 202 0122
>>> Skype: proactiverisk
>>> Web: http://www.owasp.org
>>>
>>> NYC CyberSocial 26 March
>>> http://www.meetup.com/OWASP-NYC/events/169653782/
>>>
>>> NJ CyberSocial 27 March
>>> http://www.meetup.com/OWASP-New-Jersey/events/169975572/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> > Does anyone else have any comments on this?  Tobias asked if "in
>>> writing"
>>> > includes e-mail, but otherwise that's the only comment I received.
>>>  Can I
>>> > have a second please so that we can proceed with a vote?
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > Proposal: Add a new section to the OWASP Bylaws.
>>> >
>>> > SECTION 4.07  Participation. Participation in OWASP activities
>>> (conferences,
>>> > meetings, mailings lists, projects, etc) does not require membership,
>>> but is
>>> > subject to adherence to the OWASP Code of Ethics, and OWASP leaders may
>>> > revoke the privilege of participation to those who choose not to abide
>>> by
>>> > that code.  Notification of such a revocation must be made to the
>>> individual
>>> > in writing, with the OWASP Board of Directors CC'd for inclusion in the
>>> > Foundation records.  If an individual believes that this revocation is
>>> > unjustified, then they have the option to appeal the decision by
>>> notifying
>>> > the OWASP Board of Directors in writing within 14 days of the original
>>> > notification.
>>> >
>>> > ~josh
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Tobias <tobias.gondrom at owasp.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >> Hi Josh,
>>> >> sounds good.
>>> >> One question to the lawyers among us: does "in writing" include per
>>> email?
>>> >> Thanks, Tobias
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> On 03/03/14 16:12, Josh Sokol wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >> As requested, I have re-worded the proposed addition to the Bylaws to
>>> >> include information about notification and an appeals process.  Also,
>>> since
>>> >> the most logical place to put this is in the membership section of the
>>> >> bylaws, I modified to say that participation does not require
>>> membership.
>>> >> Please discuss.
>>> >>
>>> >> Proposal: Add a new section to the OWASP Bylaws.
>>> >>
>>> >> SECTION 4.07  Participation. Participation in OWASP activities
>>> >> (conferences, meetings, mailings lists, projects, etc) does not
>>> require
>>> >> membership, but is subject to adherence to the OWASP Code of Ethics,
>>> and
>>> >> OWASP leaders may revoke the privilege of participation to those who
>>> choose
>>> >> not to abide by that code.  Notification of such a revocation must be
>>> made
>>> >> to the individual in writing, with the OWASP Board of Directors CC'd
>>> for
>>> >> inclusion in the Foundation records.  If an individual believes that
>>> this
>>> >> revocation is unjustified, then they have the option to appeal the
>>> decision
>>> >> by notifying the OWASP Board of Directors in writing within 14 days
>>> of the
>>> >> original notification.
>>> >>
>>> >> Thanks!
>>> >>
>>> >> ~josh
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> _______________________________________________
>>> >> Owasp-board mailing list
>>> >> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
>>> >> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > _______________________________________________
>>> > Owasp-board mailing list
>>> > Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
>>> > https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>>> >
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Owasp-board mailing list
>>> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Owasp-board mailing list
>> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Owasp-board mailing list
> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-board
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/attachments/20140321/1476f792/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Owasp-board mailing list