[Owasp-board] Task force team assisting with cleanup of project inventories-updates

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sat Jun 28 07:55:47 UTC 2014

Jim, I'll be using other code analysis tools and right now SWAMP does that
too.

 I would like to have a meeting with you/Board regarding the
SWAMP because I don't know where is this heading.

DHS is really behind my back to put tools there, I did that with a couple
but since they all need C/C++ build scripts or clear build (gcc) commands
(that is also possibly) I was able to find out how to run them and get the
exact build errors if they failed.

This could be a free way to use some code analysis tools for these
languages but I'm not sure if I should be doing this.

Since we are creating a system to run automated builds and without the work
and effort of creating C/C++ build scripts or commands to be able to run
them in SWAMP,  I see this right now as overload work for me.

I like the way the SWAMP runs, is quite easy to work but the overload work
of creating C/C++ build scripts or commands is major minus for me. The idea
is if  a tools has his own build scripts written in maven, ant, python or
other scripting language, this will add extra work to any testing.

Again, what is the strategy with the SWAMP? I think I can test some tools
(such as NinjaPingU that already has a C++ build scripts) but I would not
be using this environment because it adds too much work. In the end I think
the developer of the tool should be doing this if he wants to use the SWAMP.

Please let me know because communicating consistency to external parties is
essential. Like in this case, I have the understanding that SWAMP wants me
to put OWASP tools there but I think we should communicate my findings why
I might not continue doing this and if the board wants to promote this
among our community, that is another strategy I'm not aware of
but definitely, that message wont be communicated from my side

 I see activities that in APPSEC US are  already heading in that direction
so please let me know.

I would appreciate you feedback and clarification regarding the SWAMP

regards

Johanna