[Owasp-board] Final Proposal to be sent to Kevin Greene

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sun Jun 8 18:46:09 UTC 2014

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Johanna expressing her
frustrations.  Everybody has a right to their feelings and telling her that
her feelings are somehow invalid and she should refrain is certainly
counter to OWASP's culture of openness.  We should all feel comfortable
talking to each other about our issues because it's through these
conversations that we come to understand the other person's perspective.
The unprofessional thing, at least to me, is trying to silence the voice of
someone who has been extremely supportive of OWASP projects to date.

As for SWAMP, it sounds like Samantha may be confusing it with another
grant-based relationship that I believe was proposed by DHS that OWASP
turned away because it placed liability on the Foundation for deliverables
that the project leaders were accountable for.  We simply don't have the
infrastructure in place to support it today, but possibly in the future.
SWAMP is a completely different project.  It's a freely available security
testing stack that is funded by a DHS grant.  From the call last week, it
sounds like it would be a perfect fit for OWASP from at least two different
perspectives.  First, OWASP tools could leverage the SWAMP for testing of
their applications.  Currently, as Johanna said, it is limited to a small
sub-set of development languages, but that should change with time.
Second, OWASP tools can be integrated into the SWAMP for testing of
applications.  As soon as I heard the first one, I immediately thought of
Johanna's current efforts on project quality and suggested we involve her
in a technical conversation with the SWAMP people ASAP.  Johanna has been
involved in all communications, that I am aware of, since that call took
place and has the notes from the call as well.  With Samantha's
resignation, I'd look to Johanna as the lead on the SWAMP integration
relationship.

~josh