[Owasp-board] Appsec EU

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Jun 6 13:39:58 UTC 2014

Would the team then refund the £250 difference to those who have already
purchased their ticket?  Typically, with a conference, you want the prices
to go up over time in order to incentivize people to purchase early.  By
dropping the price so late in the game, I'm guessing while it may boost
ticket sales for this years event, it also does two things:

1) Pisses off those who have already purchased at a higher rate (assuming
we don't refund them the difference).

2) Makes people wait longer to purchase next year thinking prices will go
down.

If this were a one-time event running in complete isolation, I'd say it's
probably fine to reduce the ticket price as you're suggesting, but with it
being a Foundation event run year over year, I think our only real option
is to get more creative on how we advertise the event and to whom.  Have
you tried inviting members of the media to hype the event?  Are there big
name security people that we should be publicizing more?  What about
another way to add value and entice attendees like having some sort of
attraction at the Happy Hour event?  Some sort of cool giveaway for
attendees?  My advice is to think outside the box on ways that you can add
value that don't involve dropping the ticket price.

~josh