[Owasp-board] Josh & Christian - Conference Call

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Jan 16 06:06:02 UTC 2014

Christian,

Yes, the Board has not voted yet on your reinstatement.  Voting is reserved
for the Board meetings so that we have ample time to research and make
informed decisions.  Exceptions have been made where an urgent decision is
needed, but I don't see that as the case here.  We are trying to coordinate
schedules for next month.  It is nontrivial to get seven people from six
timezones together for a three hour meeting.  This isn't a reflection on
you or an attempt to stall.  It is due process.  We will request that Sarah
put a vote for your reinstatement on the agenda for our next meeting.

In terms of the suspension not being defined in the Bylaws, I believe
you're probably right, but also that its largely irrelevant.  The Bylaws
are the defined process in handling known situations.  Things like how to
handle thw situation where a Board member resigns.  I'm guessing that when
they were drafted, nobody ever expected to need a section on suspension of
a member.  The act of your suspension should have been based on a vote of
the Board.  The act of changing the Bylaws should have been a separate
vote.  My understanding is that the rule was written because of your
situation in order to define policy going forward.  It was not applied to
you.  If you believe that this is not the case then I can check the Board
records for that vote and see.

I'm not sure why you're fixated on overturning the result of the Google
Hacking Inquiry.  When I look at it, it came out largely in your favor.
The only thing I saw in there was that they said that they could not find
that the source code was been made public.  Are you contending that it
was?  The conclusion was something like a 3 month suspension for that.  I'm
admittedly very foggy on what transpired after that to cause your
membership to be revoked completely.  I'd welcome your thoughts on that.
In any case, those results seemed really minor to me.

You are absolutely right that I made an assumption about what you wanted.
For that, I am sorry.  I felt that I was in a better position than most of
the others to hear you out on this since I am completely unfamiliar with
any of this.  You have already stated your thoughts about Michael, Tom,
Eoin, and Jim.  I'm not sure how you could expect them to remain unbiased
after you said those things.

I am actually a bit insulted that you thought I would just parrot your
words for you.  My offer to help you was based on a desire to hear your
concerns and bring to light some of the things you are blowing the whistle
on.  I came into this with no biases, but each time you direct your anger
at me, belittle me, or contradict a previous statement, I begin to
formulate my own opinions.  Please keep that in mind as you speak to me
going forward.  While we may have had a misunderstanding, I have shown you
nothing but respect and compassion and I expect the same in return if you
would like my assistance.

You are absolutely right that the OWASP Board is not an independent
arbitrator.  My obligation, first and foremost, as a Board member, is to
serve the Foundation.  I never claimed anything different.  But I do
believe that it is in the Foundations best interest to hear you out on
this.  To be an unbiased opinion and study the facts as presented to me.  I
can be fair and unbiased without being independent.  To be completely
honest, and I think they'd admit it outright, I'm not sure the old Board
members can say the same thing.  That said, I can't blame them as it seems
you've made a number of personal attacks against them.  This is why I asked
for them to hold on your request for a vote so I could create a special
committee to look into your situation.   I'm fairly confident that if you
push for a "decide now" that the answer will be "No".  Though, you seem
like a very smart guy and I'm guessing that you're expecting that.  I'm not
going to force help upon someone if they don't want it, but if your goal is
really to be heard by people willing to listen and with the power to affect
change, then me, Tobias, and Fabio are your best bet right now.

My statement about a public call was not a joke.  It was based on your
request that this discussion be held in the light.  I can't speak for how
the Board has done things in the past, but unless you specifically desire
to have the discussions private, then I believe they shouldn't be.  My
actions as a Board member should be performed in full view of the members
who elected me.  Because of this, I have waived my right to privacy on this
matter as well.  There is no alterior motive, only a desire for
transparency.

I will investigate with Michael and Sarah why your records were not made
public.   If you requested it, then it should have been so.

This isn't about what I want.  I want to help you.  I want to listen to
what you have to say, internalize, and then take appropriate action.  Not
knowing what you have to say, I can't really say what action is appropriate.

You said that you have already highlighted how I have damaged you several
times now and how this it was totally avoidable.  If anything I'd say we
had a misunderstanding.  I've apologized and told you that it was
unintended and I meant no harm.  Hopefully you can accept my apology and we
can move forward with this.

So where does this leave us?  I'm honestly not sure.  If a simple
misunderstanding of your desires can leave you damaged by me, I'm concerned
about our relationship going forward.  I realize that it may be asking a
lot for you to trust someone that you don't know, but that's exactly what
I'm doing with you.  I trust that you and I can have a civilized
conversation about all this and I trust that you will see my desire to help
and will have some amount of patience working with me.  So, what is your
proposal to proceed?  Do we work together on this?  Do we start with your
five questions or something else?  Are you ok with staying a Board decision
to allow us time to truly investigate your concerns or do you want to push
a vote and get it done with based on the information currently
available?    Do you want this to be an open process so that others are
free to witness it and draw their own conclusions?   And, probably the most
important question, what is the end result here that would make you happy?

~josh