[Owasp-board] Funding - board travel budget

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Jan 7 19:34:48 UTC 2014

+100

I'm with you Tobias. I think a few *good* uses for board-level travel funds are (1) paying for trainers who are delivering free training (self serving, I admit, but I'd like others to do it as well), (2) conference organizers like the work Tom did for AppSec USA, (3) paying for board travel for our annual on-site meeting and similar value-add travel. I'd like to avoid paying a lot to send a board member to give a brief intro talk.

The counter point to this argument is also valid. Sending a board member to a conference, even if just for a brief intro talk, adds a lot of board-level socializing that is incredibly valuable but often hard to quantify. For example, I used to complain in the past when we sent Tom to a conference when he was only giving one intro 30 minute talk. But after the talk, Tom would socialize with different OWASP teams and then follow up. This is not always tangible, but it's a huge value for new chapters and regions to socialize and ask questions of the board.

Anyhow, here are both sides of the story, both of which I feel are valid.

Aloha,
Jim