[Owasp-board] Vote Request - OWASP Participation at RSA

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Tue Jan 7 00:33:51 UTC 2014

The vote is to terminate and, if possible, still offer the free training.
Since the training is a perk of the agreement it may not be.

Sarah,

Can you clarify any repercussions for cancelling the contract. I don't
believe there are any aside from possible forfeiture of associated benefits.

Regarding the thread - great work. I mentioned it my response to the thread
too. I think the thread was a great discussion and now it's our job to vote
on a decision forward.

-Michael

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Eoin Keary <eoin.keary at owasp.org> wrote:

> What are the termination conditions of the contract? You are voting to
> terminate anyways, no?
>
> Yes, that's correct the 150 email thread was started by myself, it's what
> I was voted in to do; question, listen an help protect and grow the
> foundation.
>

> Eoin Keary
> Owasp Global Board
> +353 87 977 2988
>

> On 7 Jan 2014, at 00:13, Michael Coates <michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:
>
> Eoin,
>
> "Why are we obsessed with RSA when we have an alternate venue?"
> Two reasons:
> 1. We're dropping out of a contract
> 2. It's an important issue with 150 emails in the thread from our
> community(as you know).
>
> We have to be thoughtful and handle through appropriate voting channels.
>
> Also, I captured my thoughts* in the thread to the leaders list, but I
> disagree with an approach where we evaluate our perception of accusations
> and ethics for events we wish to speak at. By that measure we would need to
> fully evaluate the ethics of bsides or blackhat before deciding to speak at
> their events. Ethics and judgement aren't our mission.
>
> *http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2014-January/010647.html
>

> --
> Michael Coates
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Eoin Keary <eoin.keary at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> I disagree. Why are we obsessed with RSA when we have an alternate venue?
>> Why take the risk of damaging the foundation? Bsides has an identical
>> offering and no bad vibes.
>>

>> Eoin Keary
>> Owasp Global Board
>> +353 87 977 2988
>>

>> On 6 Jan 2014, at 23:44, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm in full agreement as Michael stated.  We should cancel the marketing
>> agreement and offer to continue the training without it.
>>
>> ~josh
>> On Jan 6, 2014 4:31 PM, "Michael Coates" <michael.coates at owasp.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Board,
>>>
>>> I'd like to request a vote on OWASP's participation at RSA. I've
>>> captured my position on the public OWASP thread.
>>> http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2014-January/010647.html
>>>
>>> Please provide any discussion to the vote or cast your vote. Note that
>>> this is a time sensitive issue.
>>>

>>> My vote request is as follows:
>>>
>>> OWASP will terminate the co-marketing agreement with RSA for RSA 2014.
>>> This may place our training at risk, but if permitted we will still
>>> provide the free training at RSA and the OWASP speaking slot.
>>>
>>> Board Votes:
>>> Michael
>>> Tom
>>> Tobias