[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Board decision that I don't agree with

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Sun Jan 5 23:21:09 UTC 2014

Jim,

reading your link, *our non-profit status does in fact __not____ forbid
us from getting involved in politics as in advocating our mission and
making public statements about it. *

There is a huge difference between political campaigning on behalf of
any candidate for elective public office (which is forbidden for
non-profit) and general advocacy and politics aka an organisation making
a public statement or advocating that certain things are in line with
our OWASP mission and a really good idea and others are against the
OWASP mission aka a really bad idea.

For anyone interested, I recommend to follow and read the link that you
sent, it specifies that a political campaign in the sense of the IRS is:
"What is a political campaign? In general, the IRS rule refers to
campaigns between people who are running for offices in public
elections. These can include: candidates running for president of the
U.S.; candidates running for governor; candidates running for mayor; and
also candidates for lower elected offices such as school board
officials, city supervisors, and county trustees."

And in fact your article explicitly states that: *"Your organization can
engage in legislative advocacy and issue-related advocacy, as long as it
follows certain rules and steers clear of political campaigning. "* (for
those interested in what these certain rules are: that a non-profit does
not have "substantial part" of its overall activities relates to
influencing legislation or carrying on propaganda. Roughly anything
under 5% of the overall budget is considered not substantial, while
expenditures of above 15% would probably be considered substantial -
e.g. 5% would be with our current budget size spending of more than USD
100.000(!) on lobbying....)

We are free and safe to advocate our mission and to make public
statements to communicate our mission. (And nobody would want for OWASP
to politically campaign for the next candidate for presidency, governor,
mayor or political party of any country.)

All the best, Tobias