[Owasp-board] Proposal for new global OWASP mailing-list "owasp-community"

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Sun Feb 23 15:11:06 UTC 2014

Hi Matt,

thanks for the info. That is interesting but not what I meant. Probably
my initial naming was misleading.
I do not want a list for announcements with everyone of the our 42,000+
people in it. We have or might need this for other purposes (e.g. the
connector), but not for what I have in mind.

I like to create a list with opt-in that allows interested OWASP members
and contributors (who are not leaders) to join the discussion of
projects and ideas. (Some of which we do today on the leaders list, but
the leaders-list fails to allow non-leaders to participate in the
discussion or learn about new "project request for volunteer"
opportunities, etc.)

Jim made a great name suggestion: "owasp-community"

Maybe one technology question: do you think such a mailing-list hosted
on our servers would be able to cope with up to 2000 subscribers? (I
know from other mailman lists that manage up to 5-10,000, but am not
sure our infrastructure could hold that volume, too...)

If you think that could work, please do the following... Or we just give
it a try and see where it leads us.

or initiative ideas that are looking for other fellow contributors and
volunteers and discuss news that are relevant and valuable for the
global OWASP community. - open to all, especially leaders, members,
contributors and interested community members."
No initial population. We will do purely opt-in.
(I'll work with our ops team on informing people through the usual
channels over the coming weeks). Hopefully people will join this
opportunity in addition to the leaders-list and we can get a global
owasp community platform exchanging ideas, joining projects across
chapters, etc.

Thanks and all the best,

Tobias