[Owasp-board] Proposal for new global OWASP mailing-list "owasp-all"

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Sat Feb 22 06:27:41 UTC 2014

Catching up on emails...

There already is a list called owasp-all on lists.owasp.org.  It was
created previously to use a semi-convoluted process [1] to add every member
of a list in Mailman on lists.owasp.org and add their address to that list.

The lists original purpose was for announcement to all the people who had
an account on lists.owasp.org - posting was (and is) strictly controlled
for obvious reasons.  It was used by the OWASP Connector but the size of
the population of that list was killing our outbound email server.  It
currently has roughly 42,000+ members.  (There are 713 lists on
lists.owasp.org currently, BTW)

So, if you want an way to announce things to the general OWASP population,
Mailman may not be the best thing to do that with.  Perhaps Salesforce
could be used with the paid membership's tracked in there.

No trying to spoil the idea - just trying to lay down the IT landscape for
this conversation.

[1] From my IT archaeological work, I've discovered the process for adding
people to owasp-all is as follows.
Note:  remove-from-all is a "shadow" list which holds people who've
requested to be removed from owasp-all.

Every hour at 6 min after the hour, owasp_parent_list.sh is run which

   -

   dumps remove-from-all list members to a file in /tmp called no_all
   -

   removes all users from owasp-all with remove_members -n -N -a owasp-all
   -

   creates a list of all the mailman members
   -

   get the list of remove-from-all members and takes those out of the list
   of all members with 1+ list membership
   -

   takes the resultant list and re-creates owasp-all

I've got this and a ton of other IT admin related details in Google docs
and shared with the rest of the staff to hedge against the "hit by a bus"
contingency.

--
-- Matt Tesauro
OWASP WTE Project Lead