[Owasp-board] Promotion of OWASP by Non-"non-profits"

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Thu Feb 20 05:41:32 UTC 2014

I agree with the **intent** of what you are saying Gentlemen, as well as
your motives. However, it causes me to have some questions:

1) We are an *information security community*
- so if we are to be vendor neutral it is not 'all vendors' that are of
concern it is the 'security vendors'
- this is precisely because they have influence in OWASP that other
security vendors do not
- therefore,

The solution to the problem you propose is one that is best managed by
setting the rules and guidelines for security vendors involved in OWASP not
the 'non-security' vendors! This is risk management, and addressing the
lowest risk vendors while ignoring the highest risk vendors is simply not
on.

Second, what is the definition of Security Vendor? Please forgive me
Gentlemen - this is an example - not an accusation nor indication that you
personally are doing 'wrong things'  rather, it is simply a convenient
example that is personal to the both of you:

I would submit that we should call Michael's new role is a 'Security
Vendor" and Jim's new role is not a "non-security-vendor'  because although
Jim is in the security industry - he is doing security education - not
product promotion. Where as Michaels new position is one where his
companies assets and goals involve the promotion of their product (eg the
financially benefit directly from promotion, where as Jim benefits
indirectly). If I were to have concern about brand damage to OWASP I would
want to define the rules for the 'Michaels' in the organisation and keep my
eyes on the Jim and Marks, and set about creating rules only after abuses
occur.

Thirdly, from a human behaviour perspective I agree with Dinis Cruz, we
should reward the behaviour we like, and not penalise those contributing
not precisely as we find ideal. Policing is a kind of coercion and
violence. Thus we must reserve policing as a very last resort.

Thus, I conclude we should not have a problem with the "Mark Podcast" he is
creating incredible value for OWASP and OWASP is benefiting from his
contributions enormously just as it has from Jim's contributions. Jim does
Jim things, Mark does Mark things. Mark gives credit where credit is due to
the company who donates their time, money and resources to produce the
pod-cast.

Jim is on the board and aggressively promotes OWASP as a board member
ideally should. Jim in an example we can all aspire toward; but not all of
us are ready or financially secure enough to "have Jim's ethics".  Simple
as.

Additionally, if we want to really tackle this issue we must really get
serious about the elephant in the room, and this is that we are all
vendors; and not all vendors have equal access or influence in OWASP and
that is not OPEN.

Cheers,

Dennis

--