[Owasp-board] Proposal for new global OWASP mailing-list "owasp-all"

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Fri Feb 14 22:03:20 UTC 2014

Agree with the opt-in.
I like when people vote with their feet. ;-)
(And makes the board vote unnecessary.)

To answer your question:
I do not desire a list "only for announcements made by staff or leaders".

What I like for owasp-all:
Ideally, this would be like an open market place for OWASP project ideas
and opinions on major global OWASP topics. And ideally, after very few
emails have been exchanged on a topic there, the discussion should move
towards a newly spawned initiative, a project, ...
But I would also see some OWASP news there, like info about a new
project or initiative, info about a new major release. Stuff that would
likely be beneficial or of interest for the wide majority of the
community or which would benefit from new volunteers. (as a rough
guideline, I would expect at maximum one announcement email per active
project per 1-2 years).
Other topics to post there would be info on AppSecs and CFP for AppSecs.

On the technology side: I would favor a simple standard "mailman" list,
like we have it for most of our current lists.

Regarding topics:
Maybe to give you a feel, let me give a few specific examples:
When I look at the leaders-list over the last 4 weeks, some the
following subjects I would have preferred to see on an owasp-all list:
- OWASP is Hiring!
- Looking for iGoat help!
- AppSec Europe 2014 - Call For Papers, Call For Presentations and Call
For Trainings is OPEN!
- Re: OWASP Statement on the Security of the Internet (at least one
email with the link to the community poll)
- OWASP Java Encoder 1.1.1 released!  (?)
- Slides about OWASP
(maybe - not sure on the last two?)

... plus/minus one or two.

And going forward e.g. after we finished the initial discussion on the
leaders list, we could post to owasp-all the call for volunteers for
Wiki Currators.

Does that give a clearer idea of what would be in-scope?

I appreciate that it may be a little tricky to get the scope right from
the beginning. So we will have to experiment a little with it and see
how much info people like. And another idea I have is to ask for
feedback or do a survey after 3-6 months and ask the subscribers which
topics they found worthwhile to be posted and which not. That can give
us some idea to improve.

What do you think?

Just my 5cents, Tobias