[Owasp-board] Update on Google Hacking Inquiry and Request for Reinstatement

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Fri Feb 14 03:22:51 UTC 2014

Josh,

I'm taking a bit of time to respond to this after sleeping on my response
for several days.  I continue to have issues that I feel compelled to air
to the board list.  I will try to keep this short.

(1) I have no problem with removing the inquiry content off the wiki.  Its
continued utility, without regard to its past utility, is little to zero to
both OWASP and the world at large.

(2) I do have a problem with the statement you propose to put in its place.
 I'm not sure what purpose it serves beyond denigrating the work by
previous board members.  Simply removing of the content (and the fact that
there's wiki history to show it was removed for the curious) demonstrates
that it is no longer relevant.

However, your statement is a quasi-indictment of the actions of a past
board.  Read between your lines - the fact that "to wipe the slate clean",
"intentionally injure or impugn the professional reputation" plus "We feel
sincerely sorry for any damages" presupposes that there was purposeful and
intended fault on the part of those working on that inquiry.

Please don't set the precedent for future boards to retrospectively
question the actions of past boards and the community hampered the
distortion of time and the utter lack of context in which the original
decision was made.  For egregious faults, definitely question past boards
or any relevant parties, but this is no where near that standard.

Add to this the fact that I have yet to see Christian take one iota of
responsibility for any of his actions with the community in the past.  He
has been negative on multiple occasions - look at the Top 10 list for his
Sonatype + Aspect conspiracy emails, look at the plainly hateful comment
about Paulo's tragic loss.  I have yet to hear any words of atonement,
regret or contrition from Christian.  Everything happens *to him*, not by
him.

Add to this that he is the ONLY community member, current or past, that
required a Gmall tag in my @owasp.org email just to keep track of the
controversies around him.  This was particularly true during my stint on
the Foundation board but didn't stop when my board tenure ended.

Finally, OWASP is principally constructed of *volunteers* who *choose* to
spend time on OWASP and forgo spending their free time on other pursuits -
a meritocracy, if you will.  I see little to no value to the community in
your suggested message about the Google Hacking Inquiry.  I'd much prefer
time (and wiki) content was spent extolling those that add to the community
in substantial ways rather then someone who's contributions are
controversial at best.

I look forward to your well reasoned reply as well as a overly long email
from Christian with loads of links to cherry-picked, out of context
information.

For my own self, I'm going to focus on the positive portions of the OWASP
community.  Even those who contribute outside OWASP to the betterment of
applications and developers [1] who purportedly have "well known mental
health issues". His answer is not far off what I would have said, but he,
unlike me, took the time to answer and help someone in need.

</Matt's at least 10 cents>

[1]
http://lists.webappsec.org/pipermail/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org/2014-February/009002.html

--