[Owasp-board] Comments sent off list

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Feb 5 20:29:13 UTC 2014

I will say here that instances where comments are sent off list should be
extremely few and far between.  We, the Board, are elected representatives
and our actions should be performed for open analysis by our voting
constituents (the OWASP membership).  I feel that the real line here is
between "I'm keeping this confidential for the benefit of someone else" vs
"I'm keeping this confidential for the benefit of myself".  With the
former, I think that exceptions can be made in order to facilitate
communications with others who do not want to go on record.  That said, the
latter is typically an indication of an attempt to hide something or shield
yourself from judgement.  It's a likely sign that you should reconsider
whether it's worth saying at all.  Perhaps this is an oversimplification,
but I generally subscribe to the idea that a man who has nothing to hide,
has nothing to fear.  In short, I will seek to use the lists and shy away
from private communications as much as possible, but do respect others
rights to privacy.

~josh