[Owasp-board] Public Statements, Personal Thoughts, The Voice of OWASP

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Wed Feb 5 20:01:01 UTC 2014

Michael and fellow board members,

yes, this is a good discussion to have.

regarding 1+2:
IMHO we need indeed to be a bit more careful about in which function we
make statements, because the outside world will perceive certain things.

Having said that, I think the default for any board member when stating
his opinion should be that this is only his personal opinion. So I think
it would be fair to assume that as the baseline. But we should each be
careful to avoid misconstrued statements or messages being interpreted
as OWASP messages even though they are only personal opinions. This is
mostly important / relevant when people cite or introduce you as an
OWASP board member or when you use OWASP communication channels (blogs,
post on the wiki). In this case it could be healthy to clarify that this
is your personal opinion or a draft at the beginning.

3. Regarding our mailing-lists:
- yes, I noted that one blogger cited comments from the mailing-list
during an ongoing internal open discussion. That is unfortunate and in
fact also to some degree unprofessional for a journalist, but
unavoidable with open lists. I always try to weigh my words carefully,
but still our mailing-lists are to discuss different opinions openly. If
a journalist takes text from the mailing-lists we might inform him that
these are ongoing discussions and do not express opinions of the
organisation.
- and yes, I am all for discipline in terms of staying on subject and/or
changing the subject of an email when the content shifts to a new topic.
It makes reading so much easier. ;-)

Cheers, Tobias