[Owasp-board] Update on Google Hacking Inquiry and Request for Reinstatement

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Tue Feb 4 00:30:59 UTC 2014

I also interviewed every participant you mentioned as well, however I did
it at the time of the incident.

I appreciate the level of detail you have gone to understand what happened,
and the level of effort you have gone to ensure OWASP is truly open.

However, your conclusion is made in hindsight, and suffers from hindsight
bias <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindsight_bias>. And hence the saying
"Hindsight is 20/20." I do agree that OWASP was much less 'structured' back
then, and that we operated far more by group consensus (which you could
correctly argue is a selection
bias<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias>).

However, nobody back then was operating in any less good faith than you are
today.  The only conclusion that I can safely agree with is that today
projects are run much more effectively than at any time in the past, but to
be honest so is the whole of OWASP.

But, before I can agree with your conclusion I need to understand how
deeply you 'delved into the mudpit.' While everybody involved can easily
look back at their behaviour and perhaps conclude they could have handled
the situations differently, did you also dig into the history of very
dubious and abusive actions by the participants as well? Because, while
everybody involved feels justified in the actions they took some of those
actions certainly failed to live up to any standard that would have been
acceptable either in the past or present. I want to know what you think
about those events as well.

Personally, I think that it is to late to put the genie back in the bottle.

Dennis

--
Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc
Email me, <dennis.groves at owasp.org> or schedule a meeting<http://goo.gl/8sPIy>