[Owasp-board] Additional Brand Abuse

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Sun Dec 7 04:45:05 UTC 2014

Dear Bev,

thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood your email initially as
that you were referring to a company using our logo on their website,
which would indeed need approval by OWASP.

I can sense that we have some careful balancing when it comes to
protection of our brand.
On the one hand we want to help the people and industry at large
improving security and in that process also to refer to us and our many
projects, on the other hand we want to avoid that a text is
misunderstood in a way that we would endorse a specific product,
proprietary technology or business.
A fine line to walk and possibly we will face a couple of cases were we
are not totally sure about it.

Thinking about at this, I am not sure it's the right path to add "brand
usage" onto the plate of the compliance officer. The main need for our
independent compliance officer is to avoid conflict of interest when it
comes to investigating internal problems among staff, leaders or board
members. For this an independent compliance officer is important.
However, he is a community volunteer and his time is limited. And the
protection of our brand and guiding other companies on how to refer to
OWASP correctly does not have that risk of conflict of interest. Am
thinking whether based on general brand usage guidelines (which we
already have, but maybe need to be more detailed guidance) set by the
community and the board, maybe we could delegate this to one of our
staff instead or a community team to communicate carefully and in a
positive manner with our partners in the industry. By this we could keep
the work load of the compliance within reasonable levels, so that he
will have enough time when it comes to cases that require his
independent investigation.

E.g. to enhance the guidelines, we could even add a few examples about
how good usage or our OWASP brand looks like. I appreciate that we may
have a large variety of views among our community about what level of
mentioning OWASP by others is ok or we even wish for. And I hope we
could in the process of a discussion achieve to find a wider consensus
on this with which everybody is feeling ok....

Just a thought.

Tobias