[Owasp-board] Additional Brand Abuse

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Fri Dec 5 18:23:55 UTC 2014

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see a problem.

The web page only states that they are "scanning for OWASP Top-10", not
that OWASP would certify or that their product would be an OWASP
project.... And there is no claim that they find or fix all OWASP Top-10
vulnerabilities.
("...will scan your website for the OWASP Top 10 list of web security
vulnerabilities, complete with a comprehensive compliance report for the
most recent OWASP Top 10 List of Risks.")

So in fact, I don't think there is a violation and even more so I would
want companies to refer to our Top-10 list, when they say they scan for
something. That is the way, when you set the defacto standard for the
industry. Naturally people refer to the standard. And we want people to
refer to us. That way we help them to focus their efforts on the most
important security problems and influence and promote our mission.

Just my 2cents.

Tobias