[Owasp-board] Additional Brand Abuse

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Fri Dec 5 17:19:03 UTC 2014

Josh,

There is a history (ISSA, ISC2, Apache, etc) where non profit security
or developer organizations do not to allow companies to use their
non-profit brand for product marketing.

I feel that *strongly* protecting the OWASP brand from being used in
commercial marketing is both a part of our non-profit mission (vendor
neutral, non commercial) as well as being one of the main roles of our
fiduciary duty as board members.

Again, this is not just my opinion. There is a great deal of precedent
in this area from similar organizations.
- Jim

PS: As a side note, The OWASP Top Ten is not addressable by a product, I
can explain that in detail if you wish. (Just look at A5).