[Owasp-board] Elections and WASPY awards and community participation

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Aug 29 15:10:59 UTC 2014

This was my issue too.  If you spend a year doing great work on a local
level, then nobody knows who you are.  You get nominated by a single person
who is probably still local.  So when it's finally escalated to the level
of all members, well, still nobody knows who you are.  It just becomes a
game of trying to find a name that you recognize, which is in effect a
popularity contest.  I like the idea of recognizing people for their
accomplishments, but maybe a vote is the wrong way to go about it?  Maybe
judging things by metrics would be better?  Which project had the most
downloads?  Featured at the BlackHat Arsenal?  Which chapter has the most
new members?  If I were to revise this award, it would be based on tangible
metrics, not voting.  Sorry, I know that this feedback is less than useful
considering you asked for help in getting more votes, but when the
underlying system is flawed the number of votes don't really mean much
anyway.

~josh