[Owasp-board] Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] [GSoC 2014] Some tidbits from your program admin

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Apr 24 15:23:03 UTC 2014

I just wanted this info on your radar, no action is needed yet. I reached
out to Carol from Google and supported her on list. Also I introduced
myself from the board in case she needs anything else from us in the future.

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Apr 24, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Tobias <tobias.gondrom at owasp.org> wrote:

 Hi Jim,

thanks a lot for the info.
As you wrote "just FYI", I assume this is currently under control by our
GSoC team and ops team.
GSoC is a great initiative to bring students into security and I would not
want to see this jeopardised because of misbehaviour of some of our
mentors.

Please let us know if this requires board attention or any support or help
I might be able to provide.

Aloha, Tobias

On 24/04/14 22:37, Jim Manico wrote:

 Just a FYI that Google is stepping in getting upset at some of our mentors
at the GSOC. See below...

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

Begin forwarded message:

 *From:* "'Carol Smith <carols at google.com>' via Google Summer of Code
Mentors List" <google-summer-of-code-mentors-list at googlegroups.com>
*Date:* April 24, 2014 at 7:34:03 AM PDT
*To:* edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com>
*Cc:* Yuriy Rusko <yuriy at phpbb.com>, Matthias Templ <
matthias.templ at gmail.com>,  Glauber Costa <glommer at cloudius-systems.com>,
Google Summer of Code Mentors List <
google-summer-of-code-mentors-list at googlegroups.com>
*Subject:* *Re: [GSoC Mentors] [GSoC 2014] Some tidbits from your program
admin*
*Reply-To:* Carol Smith <carols at google.com>

  Hi there,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can we please drop the subject at this point?
> Yes I am having a very bad day. I do not expect you to either understand
> that or commiserate.
> I apologized to any others on this list who may have been inconvenienced
> by this exchange.

 No, we can't drop the subject. If you're going to have a bad attitude on
this list and particularly with your students, that's not okay with me. If
you'd prefer not to participate in this program I am more than happy to
coordinate with your org admins to have you removed from this program, this
list, and from your duties. This is program that's about helping introduce
new people to FOSS, to coordinate with people all over the world in a
vibrant community that spans generations, timezones, and language barriers.

 If you want to be a sourpuss, that's fine. Do that on your own time in
your own house without involving the people on this list or, more
importantly, the students in this program.

 I'll email you and your org admins separately to speak further about this.

 Thanks,
Carol
  --
Visit this group at