[Owasp-board] OWASP Top 10

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sun Apr 13 19:12:46 UTC 2014

Michael,

We have project leaders of the OWASP Top Ten that traditionally made
vendor-specific decisions for the branding, decision making and release of
the document. Heck, even the wiki edits of the OWASP Top Ten were
restricted to being edited only by the project leader. This document never
went through an objective advisory process. The fishiness of A9 is also
problematic when these other issues are considered.

I agree there is very little we can do to change the OWASP Top Ten 2013,
but when you have project leaders with a long history of a "closed"
process, it's really difficult for others to just "jump in and do it right"
for 2015. I think we need either a different leader to step up and be
board-supported or we fork the document and work on it with a different
group.

So I'm not saying that I have the right process in mind, I'm just saying
the due to the past problems with the documents creation, the board or
project manager may need to step in and define that new process, or at
least step in early when a closed process is preventing an open and
collaborative document.

-          Jim