[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP.next

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Apr 10 21:33:25 UTC 2014

Dennis,

I agree that there's been some issues lately with how some Board members
have represented themselves with members of our staff and community.  I
also agree that there are better ways that they could have dealt with those
issues than how they did.  I personally spoke with at least one of the
people you're talking about and called them out (in private) for their
behavior and they have subsequently apologized both publicly and in
private.  You are right in that this type of behavior should not be
tolerated as it sets an example of unprofessional behavior that others may
choose to follow.  That said, these people were elected to serve in the
Board member capacity by their peers in the community.  For whatever
reason, they saw something that made them feel like they were the right
people to set the direction for the organization, at least at that time.
And the good news is that in a few months we will have an election and if
the majority agrees with you that they are no longer worthy, they can be
removed just as easily as they were elected.  Your e-mail serves as a good
reminder that, as Board members, we are constantly under the microscope for
our actions and we should always strive to be the shining example that the
rest of the community can look up to and emulate.  However, as we are all
human, we sometimes make mistakes.  In my opinion it's how we own up to
those mistakes and look to correct them that really defines us as decent
people.

I will say that I don't think that any of the actions that you are talking
about came from a place of malice, but rather a strong desire to better
this organization.  That passion is probably what put them on the Board in
the first place and sometimes we get so caught up in the passion that we
get blinders on to accomplish the mission and others get hurt in the
process.  I tell my daughters all the time that when we know better, we do
better, and this is no different.  Instead of harping on past actions that
they've already acknowledged and apologized for, let's increase the zoom on
our lenses and make sure that these incidents don't happen again.  I'm
sorry that you've had to waste your time on this and even more sorry that
you're losing faith in an organization that you helped to found.  There are
good people here that are trying to do very good things and they should not
be overlooked because of a few relatively minor bumps in the road.

~josh