[Owasp-board] Ning

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Apr 7 20:40:08 UTC 2014

Ning started out as a tool that was being used solely by the OWASP Austin
Chapter.  As we had (and continue to have) much success with it as a
coordination platform, I asked the Board to sponsor an experiment to roll
it out to the greater organization.  We've been on the Ning platform for
almost 3 years now and have:

   - 307 members signed up to use it
   - 17 public groups representing multiple chapters, projects,
   conferences, and more general appsec topics
   - 31 photos uploaded by participants
   - 10 videos uploaded by participants representing everything from
   membership plugs to conference recordings to OWASP tools
   - 9 blog posts (definitely smaller than I'd like to see)
   - Forum posts split into 9 different topical categories

We haven't been keeping detailed stats beyond that, but it does give us the
ability to use Google Analytics if we so chose.  Authentication can use
Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other methods as well.  I can export a list
of current users if you're interested in further dissecting the "who" is
using it currently.  It has role-based access controls so, as an example, I
can be site admin, but allow others to moderate content, etc.

   - Current Ning 2.0 Platform:  http://my.owasp.org
   - New Ning 3.0 Platform (testing):  http://myowasp2.ning.com

My general feeling about it is that it's a great platform for social media
presence as it integrates all of the other things people are doing
(Twitter, Blogs, Messaging, Forums) into a single system.  It hasn't been
extremely well utilized beyond a few niche groups to date, but it also
hasn't been widely publicized either beyond an e-mail or two from me early
on in 2011.  There are currently 18 administrators on the system including
myself, Sarah, Michael, and Tom.  I also just found Samantha in the system
as well (for some reason my search didn't turn her up before).

I hope that answers your questions.

~josh