[Owasp-board] Member Nation Portal

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Apr 7 19:51:34 UTC 2014

OK, now I'm really confused.  Kate spent an hour on the phone with me the
other day showing me the forum features of the community portal.  She
showed me how to create threads, how to post, and how she can use roles to
determine who can see what.  The other stuff you mentioned is all fine and
dandy, but it's not social media.  Social media is about how you interact
with your customers/members.  Forums, blogs, chat, tweets, and interactive
web presence.  The Salesforce Portal makes a rather lame attempt at many of
these and that was the functionality that Kate was demonstrating for me.
Not to force the staff to backtrack, but I'd suggest that we reconsider
what portion of Salesforce we are using for what things.  By all means use
it for event management, member management, fundraising, recognition, etc,
but please please please do not move forward with the "social media"
aspects of the tool.  Frankly, they suck.  Hard.

Personally, I would like to see Jim tackle social media presence as part of
the website revamping efforts.  Call it OWASP 2.0 or whatever.  In my
opinion, our social presence should be the front of house for OWASP (ie.
get involved in the community!) with all of the bells and whistles that
social media has to offer.  On the back-end we should be linking to things
like projects, chapters, etc.  Salesforce should be a tool in that process,
not THE tool.  Take a look at http://myowasp2.ning.com (the new 3.0
platform) and you'll see what I'm talking about.  The design is extremely
flexible and it pulls in aspects of our social media presence into a single
location.  Can we please take this Salesforce Portal forums idea out to
pasture before it kills any social media success that we've had to date?
It sounds like even Sarah is saying that social media is an afterthought in
this tool and is not the primary purpose.  We should always be trying to
put our best face forward.  To me, this is not acceptable.

~josh