[Owasp-board] Member Nation Portal

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sun Apr 6 23:34:38 UTC 2014

Last week I spent some time with Kate going through the functionality and
features of the Salesforce Communities and I have to say that I'm a bit
disgruntled.  For two years now we've had the http://my.owasp.org Ning site
with way more features and over 300 members and now we want to move to this
Salesforce portal thing?  Maybe if some of the staff took the time to use
the existing social media platform, then they would realize just how much
this Salesforce one sucks.  And I'm working on the conversion to Ning 3.0
right now which adds a ton of additional features as well (
http://myowasp2.ning.com).  It looks better, works better, and already has
some level of backing from our membership.  Why would we roll out a lesser
version of what we already have?  I went into this with the hopes that the
new platform would blow Ning out of the water and I could get rid of it,
but I left feeling like we should still maintain the Ning platform because
Salesforce just doesn't have the features necessary to be usable.  Simple
things like rich text formatting, user messaging, photo sharing, video
sharing, etc.  If we had nothing, then it would work, but why anyone would
prefer Salesforce over Ning is beyond me.  In addition, I'll note that the
"Logout" link in this Salesforce portal does not exist on every page which
makes it difficult for users to log out and can become a security issue.
Needless to say, this is very frustrating.

~josh