[Owasp-board] OWASP Community Vote - Board Review

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Apr 2 17:29:55 UTC 2014

Josh,

That is why I ended with "we should talk to the other chapter leaders
first" I want their feedback before voting on this.

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Apr 2, 2014, at 5:16 AM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:

No offense meant, but this is spoken like a guy who has not run a chapter.
Quite frequently our leaders are presented with opportunities.  Many of
these opportunities, while backed by commercial interests, are offered for
free or at significantly reduced cost to OWASP members.  Passing those
opportunities along to members does not imply support of a vendor, merely
that an opportunity exists that could provide value.  If you want to add a
disclaimer at the bottom of messages saying that the OWASP Foundation does
not endorse product or services, then I have no issue with that, other than
how you're ever going to actually enforce it.  The only issue with being
vendor agnostic comes if a leader is excluding one vendor, but allowing
another in similar circumstances.  Do you have examples where this is the
case?

My thought is that if we are going to generate a rule on this, it should be
that commericial SPAM from any vendor is not allowed on the mailing lists,
but it can be sent to the chapter leader for review and to pass along if it
provides value to our membership.  A great example is the Innotech
Conference that comes to Austin annually.  It's definitely a commercial,
for-profit, venture, but each year they provide us with a free attendance
code to provide to our membership.  It definitely provides value as they
have lots of technology tracks and even a security track there.  Why would
I not want to provide my membership with that opportunity just because it
is backed by a company that makes money?

I don't agree with the "let's make exceptions" approach either.  Too much
red tape for something that should be in our leaders hands anyway.  We
should trust our leadership to do the right thing, but have a process in
place to handle when they don't.

~josh