[Owasp-board] OWASP Community Vote - Board Review

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Apr 1 16:32:49 UTC 2014

Some people consider anything they didn't explicitly ask for to be SPAM.
It goes beyond conferences.  Job postings?  Discounted training?  Happy
hours?  What about meetings for other organizations?  The way the Chapter
Leader Handbook currently addresses this is by saying that it is up to the
individual chapter leader.  While I was leading the OWASP Austin Chapter, I
just had all of these people asking if they could send to the list send to
me instead.  I would send out a newsletter every 2-4 weeks letting people
know what was going on and I'd bubble down all of that information into the
single communication.  Some may still have considered it SPAM, but at least
it came from me and was in one e-mail instead of several.  In my opinion,
there is value in each of the things I mention above.  I would hate for a
global anti-SPAM policy to trump my ability as a leader to offer these
things that can possibly add value back to our members.

~josh