[Owasp-board] Grant Spending and Funding Policy

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Oct 31 18:51:12 UTC 2013

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but what is the purpose of #1 (requiring
the project managers approval)?  Is this so that OWASP can capture the
money up-front?  So OWASP controls the branding?  The interactions with the
grant agency?  As a leader of an open-source project myself, I've
questioned the value of moving it under the OWASP umbrella mostly because I
want to maintain control over my project.  With requirements like these, I
start to question the value-add vs overhead of running an "OWASP Project".
Would it make sense to also either include in this document or create a new
one to address all of the positive aspects of becoming an OWASP project?  I
think Samantha told me that there's assistance in obtaining grant money.
That seems positive.  What else?  Any place we put restrictions on people
we should be also calling out the benefits that come along with those.

~josh