[Owasp-board] Ciso project funding

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Oct 10 19:42:57 UTC 2013

Dennis,

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree.  39% of the
total Austin Chapter budget vs 9% of this other budget seem like completely
different ballparks to me.  Also, maybe I'm misunderstanding the budget,
but this is $58k yet to be allocated to a chapter (it is based on expected
profit for an event that has not happened yet) and is more funds than I've
ever seen any chapter ever use, even NY/NJ.  If this were Eoin's suggestion
to take it from funds that are already earmarked for the chapters then you
better believe I'd be screaming about it (sorry Eoin), but here are funds
that potentially could be allocated because they have not yet been "ring
fenced".  And fortunately, because of the funding source, none of these
funds should have donator requirements placed on them (it's conference
profits).

Now, seeing as the current budget reflects a ~$141k profit and the event is
next week, maybe those numbers are off since the "Conservative" estimate
for profit was over $405k.  I dunno, but $58k going to one chapter for a
Foundation event seems like a lot to me, hence why I called it out.  It was
bad enough when Austin had $17k in the bank even though we were routinely
spending it.  I can't wait to hear the cries for raiding the chapter cookie
jar when NY/NJ has $58k to pilfer.

~josh