[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] (Projects Reboot 2012) Re: OWASP 2014 - Strategic Goals

Sarah Baso sarah.baso at owasp.org
Wed Nov 13 16:52:51 UTC 2013


Sorry all - missing a "not" in there.

To be perfectly clear this policy was NOT drafted because of Eoin or any
other one person.


On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Sarah Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org> wrote:

> No- the policy was drafted because of you or any other one person. It
> was drafted because we are maturing as an organization and it is an
> appropriate policy to have in place , not to mention a specific item
> the it's looks for on the 990.
>
> Sarah
>
> > On Nov 13, 2013, at 6:18 AM, Eoin Keary <eoin.keary at owasp.org> wrote:
> >
> > Come on!!!
> > The policy was drafted because of me??
> > Sarah, please end these lies. This is totally unacceptable.
> >
> > Eoin Keary
> > Owasp Global Board
> > +353 87 977 2988
> >
> >
> >> On 13 Nov 2013, at 10:58, "Dennis Groves" <dennis.groves at owasp.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Sarah,
> >>
> >> With all due respect, I genuinely wish such a thing were possible. As I
> have stated before, Eoin has many great qualities about him. I personally
> supported him in getting project reboot started, and his willingness to
> take action where others did not has led to many positive changes in the
> community.
> >>
> >> However, why would I ever choose to pick up a phone and call somebody
> who is so abusive to others?
> >>
> >> Eoin is so abusive that you personally had to draft an Anti-Harassment
> Policy specifically because of his behavior toward you and your staff (to
> say nothing of the volunteers). Eoin also consistently does not give credit
> where credit is due; he claims successes for himself. He does not take
> responsibility for his actions when things go wrong, rather he blames
> others.
> >>
> >> Those maybe great business skills, but OWASP marches to a different
> ethical drum. And since all of you agree with me in private, I know you
> that you know what I am saying is accurate. And why is that? It is because
> you have the same experiences!
> >>
> >> I just want Eoin to give credit where credit is due, and stop behaving
> poorly to others; two things I believe his consistent patterns of behavior
> seem to indicate he is incapable of doing.
> >>
> >> Therefore, I fully stand by my statement that a board level position
> requires a much higher standard of behavior than Eoin currently exhibits.
> Eoin can be a tremendous asset to the community, and I feel that he should
> continue to do so as a volunteer.
> >>
> >> This is my final public email on the subject, I suggest we all speak
> face to face at AppSec.
> >>
> >>
> >> Dennis
> >>
> >> P.S. Attached email - Evidentially, Eoin disagree's with me and claims
> he can spend OWASP foundation money however he chooses, and I rebut.
> >>
> >>
> >>> On 13 Nov 2013, at 1:32, Sarah Baso wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Thanks Josh.
> >>>
> >>> I wanted to echo Josh's sentiments and ask that you (Dennis and Eoin)
> >>> continue this conversation offline (if it is necessary).
> >>>
> >>> I think this back and forth has been a series of poor communication (or
> >>> lack of communication) and operating on different sets of assumptions.
>  As
> >>> a global community that works remotely and communicates via email, we
> all
> >>> need to try hard to pick up the phone where necessary and also I would
> like
> >>> to think we can give our colleagues and peers in OWASP the benefit of
> the
> >>> doubt. I don't think Eoin or anyone else was defrauding OWASP.
> >>>
> >>> The staff is working hard at setting better policies and financial
> >>> communication methods to help make sure that there isn't ongoing
> confusion
> >>> about who is getting what money and where guidelines we need to follow
> to
> >>> comply with terms of our grants as well as donor intent.  I would like
> to
> >>> see the board not be involved in the day to day management of funds
> going
> >>> forward, but instead directing questions and submitting expense
> requests
> >>> (as applicable) per the standard policies set for the organization.  I
> >>> think we are getting there....
> >>>
> >>> On a positive note, just think if this energy of all of us (staff,
> board
> >>> members, and volunteers) was spent working towards our mission instead
> of
> >>> rehashing the same argument in a nonproductive way 10 times!?
> >>>
> >>> Let's refocus on the strategic goal discussion -- and Eoin, i haven't
> seen
> >>> you bring up your cause of Developer Outreach that we discussed in
> Germany.
> >>> I assume you still feel strongly about that specifically being called
> out
> >>> in the goals for the upcoming year? (which i agree with).  Are there
> >>> certain metrics you think we could use to measure impact on the
> community
> >>> in this area?
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Sarah
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Executive Director
> >>> OWASP Foundation
> >>>
> >>> sarah.baso at owasp.org
> >>> +1.312.869.2779
> >> .eml"
> >> Content-Type: message/rfc822
> >>
> >> Return-Path: <dennis.groves at owasp.org>
> >> Received: from [192.168.0.11] (ip70-176-208-182.ph.ph.cox.net.
> [70.176.208.182])
> >>       by mx.google.com with ESMTPSA id
> fk4sm64678399pab.23.1969.12.31.16.00.00
> >>       (version=TLSv1 cipher=RC4-SHA bits=128/128);
> >>       Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
> >> From: "Dennis Groves" <dennis.groves at owasp.org>
> >> To: "Eoin Keary" <eoin.keary at owasp.org>
> >> Cc: "Michael Coates" <michael.coates at owasp.org>,
> >> "OWASP Foundation Board List" <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [Owasp-board] Ciso project funding
> >> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:09:53 -0700
> >> Message-ID: <026FAD87-AEB7-4FF3-B741-D7EF0B2FC9C7 at owasp.org>
> >> In-Reply-To: <575572C3-1E31-49F7-A3B6-86614CC6AB45 at owasp.org>
> >> References: <45D2D9EA-52A8-460F-899D-3EF272822446 at owasp.org>
> >> <CAAihoGvaNVwMB9BqvAYMaDQ0RtAfLrAnJ5++gL6swY0kRa3Sig at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <52558E35.1030800 at owasp.org>
> >> <CAKA9LHzrfasdZQRd_WJCbYUQv13=Q5NjPtyipKMKSkfJr+c6OQ at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <F217543E-1894-46BA-8E7E-E3EB35DF0870 at owasp.org>
> >> <CA+EttN9aUP7kQ9YwsJOu1SMWayq7WUt_zc2DGD0weY-QBHbmww at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <CAKA9LHw1NJgy0mnckB2-p+vh+6QPfjYipQ2aoioGeEn4041Gyw at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <CAB0dSK5wkTJEHDuvxwTSgQQZS-+6_95Lx8qcjHiz8fE8i+aHSw at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <CA+EttN-V-dqYERWKUdBnLAqeW-Npamw6QiLBd_MFMBXzBz2X2g at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <CAB0dSK7DJny0xAtx33LV4kHCkH+QWAaQDCe+DUPRH7h+iQeOcQ at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <CAKA9LHyZ6gpxw1CB2_7s1NDhUXA_gEWjbmNAf0b=J8agx==eRw at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <CAKA9LHxmP8QcdS0kHMKtkErFgS7oDpb2iWfNJn4PuBiMXh6CFQ at mail.gmail.com>
> >> <575572C3-1E31-49F7-A3B6-86614CC6AB45 at owasp.org>
> >> MIME-Version: 1.0
> >> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
> >> boundary="=_MailMate_217E594D-4778-4A95-8257-48498648C9B4_="
> >> X-Mailer: MailMate (1.6r3549)
> >>
> >>
> >> --=_MailMate_217E594D-4778-4A95-8257-48498648C9B4_=
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; markup=markdown
> >>
> >>> On 10 Oct 2013, at 12:24, Eoin Keary wrote:
> >>>
> >>> I disagree. What are the chapter funds doing for our mission? $270k or
> >>> so?
> >>> OWASP has benefited the banks more than appsec.
> >>
> >> Disagree all you want. This is a matter of law in the USA. As a
> >> registered non-profit - we are actually already required by law to spend
> >> the money as earmarked by the donators. And not only must we do this we
> >> must be able to demonstrate our compliance with the donators wishes.
> >> Incidentally the IRS does audit for this regularly; and it is the
> >> fastest way to loose your non-profit status.
> >>
> >> For example: The DHS money is not available to spend as we like, no
> >> matter how much we need it for anything else; it must be spent as the
> >> DHS dictates, end of!
> >>
> >> *** OWASP can not continue to "spend" money earmarked for other purposes
> >> or we will be forced to stop trading! ***
> >>
> >>
> >> Respectfully,
> >>
> >>
> >> [Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc
> >> [Email me](mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org) or [schedule a
> >> meeting](http://goo.gl/8sPIy).
> >>
> >>    Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...
> >>    nothing is going to get better...It's not."
> >>                                            -- The Lorax
> >> --=_MailMate_217E594D-4778-4A95-8257-48498648C9B4_=
> >> Content-Type: text/html
> >> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> >>
> >> <div class=3D"markdown">
> >> <p dir=3D"auto">On 10 Oct 2013, at 12:24, Eoin Keary wrote:</p>
> >>
> >> <blockquote>
> >> <p dir=3D"auto">I disagree. What are the chapter funds doing for our
> miss=
> >> ion? $270k or so?<br>
> >> OWASP has benefited the banks more than appsec.</p>
> >> </blockquote>
> >>
> >> <p dir=3D"auto">Disagree all you want. This is a matter of law in the
> USA=
> >> =2E As a registered non-profit - we are actually already required by
> law =
> >> to spend the money as earmarked by the donators. And not only must we
> do =
> >> this we must be able to demonstrate our compliance with the donators
> wish=
> >> es. Incidentally the IRS does audit for this regularly; and it is the
> fas=
> >> test way to loose your non-profit status.</p>
> >>
> >> <p dir=3D"auto">For example: The DHS money is not available to spend as
> w=
> >> e like, no matter how much we need it for anything else; it must be
> spent=
> >> as the DHS dictates, end of!</p>
> >>
> >> <p dir=3D"auto">*** OWASP can not continue to "spend" money
> ear=
> >> marked for other purposes or we will be forced to stop trading! ***</p>
> >>
> >> <p dir=3D"auto">Respectfully,</p>
> >>
> >> <p dir=3D"auto"><a href=3D"http://about.me/dennis.groves">Dennis
> Groves</=
> >> a>, MSc<br>
> >> <a href=3D"mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org">Email me</a> or <a
> href=3D"htt=
> >> p://goo.gl/8sPIy">schedule a meeting</a>.</p>
> >>
> >> <pre><code>Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...
> >> nothing is going to get better...It's not."
> >>                                       -- The Lorax
> >> </code></pre>
> >>
> >> </div>
> >> --=_MailMate_217E594D-4778-4A95-8257-48498648C9B4_=--
>



-- 
Executive Director
OWASP Foundation

sarah.baso at owasp.org
+1.312.869.2779
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/attachments/20131113/fcbe02a5/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Owasp-board mailing list