[Owasp-board] Recording, Report, and Action items from today's Meeting
bil.corry at owasp.org
Mon Jun 3 16:43:07 UTC 2013
I live and work in Luxembourg, please let me know how I can help with the EU Foundation.
From: owasp-board-bounces at lists.owasp.org [mailto:owasp-board-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Tom Brennan
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 7:04 AM
Cc: OWASP Foundation Board List
Subject: Re: [Owasp-board] Recording, Report, and Action items from today's Meeting
Re: EU OWASP; Seba, I recommend reaching out to Bill Cory. Dinis Cruz or Justin Clark to discuss.
Re: Vote Item #1 and Item #2 I also agree and vote YES for the record
On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
I vote yes to both of the voting items from <https://owasp.org/index.php/May_31,_2013> https://owasp.org/index.php/May_31,_2013
This includes the new signatory policy and the budget modification items.
In terms of requested feedback:
I am against the proposed "Eliminate Foundation/Chapter or Project Split on Individual Memberships".
For 2 reasons:
1) chapter are our "feet on the street" and main drivers to push individual membership, the current split is a great incentive for the chapters
2) this provides much needed income for the smaller (or poorer) chapters
I recommend rethinking on how to activate the dormant chapter budget.
* Focus on the chapters with a high dormant budget
* Challenge these chapters on spending / budget plan
* Ask if they can adopt one or more chapters or projects and donate some of their budget and support to these
Regarding the European "paperwork" , bank signatories: this will require an update to the OWASP Europe VZW Bylaws.
I will initiate the paperwork for this, but we need to have at least 3 non-profit directors.
Since Tom is pulling out: who (preferably from Europe will step in to take his place?
On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Sarah Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org> wrote:
Board Members -
Thanks to all of you who were able to make the call earlier today and for the others, thanks in advance for taking the time to review the recording and report from today's call.
I created a wiki page with items from today's meeting: https://owasp.org/index.php/May_31,_2013 (linked to from the standard board meeting page).
I also uploaded the recording to google docs (when Matt uploads to the server i will update the link on the meeting wiki page, but this will give you access for now). Link to recording is on the wiki page above.
Here is a link to the report prepared for today's meeting: https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1wBmgSFkwS8d3r2xMjqlIMlu2Nf4lLdMeC5QLM6g42zw/edit
1. Budget Modifications:
Move money ($48,950)from the following items:
· Extra $18,000 in budget under New hire IT (we are currently paying Matt $1000/month and $30,000 was originally allocated)
· Not currently hiring new Administrative Assistant - $10,000 Avail
· Not currently hiring Education Coordinator (Income/Expenses will break even)
· Reducing Staff travel- cut $13,000
· Extra money in Podcast line item (confirmed with Jim) - $2600
· No more Office Rent - $350
· Suggested cut Chapter Webinars allocation (no plans currently for spending) - $5000, this is a good item for chapters to fund themselves
Allocate $48,950 as follows:
· 19,500 already committed in budget to staff expenses and salesforce expense (see report for details)
· $20,500 for immediate hiring of new conferences manager (cost of 6 month salary and benefits)
· Remaining $8,950 towards hiring a chapter coordinator. Will need to "raise" the remaining $11,000 needed for hiring.
* Staff will be coordinating messaging and internal fundraising from chapters to help meet this goal.
2. Signatory Policy: The OWASP Foundation will use the following policy when approving financial transactions or entering into contracts or other agreements requiring a financial committement by the Foundation, to ensure financial transparency and achieve operational independence from board members:
· Financial obligations and transactions up to $10,000 USD - single signer (Sarah primary, Kate secondary)
· Financial obligations and transactions more than $10,00 USD and up to $50,000 USD - dual signer (Sarah (Executive Director) and Dave (Treasurer), Sarah and Seba (EU))
· Financial obligations and transactions more than $50,000 USD - Dual signer (second signer MUST be a board member), and notice given to the entire board of directors
· Dual Signers - If Sarah is not available, 2nd Board member can sign in her place
· Additionally, where the board treasurer is not authorized on our European account, the board can assign oversight responsibility for our European account to another member. Currently Seba has oversight of our European account and accounting practices and will be the second signer for European Transactions.
· Sarah working with staff to outline by end of Q2 additional reports/statistics to include in monthly board report related to membership, chapters, projects, conferences, and overall budget. Board should send any requests on what they would like to see to Sarah ASAP.
· Proposed policy to eliminate individual membership split - 100% to Foundation. This needs details fleshed out and discussion, but is a starting point to raise awareness into the large amount of money that is sitting in the chapters and project funds (over $260,000 USD).
· Read <https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/document/d/1wBmgSFkwS8d3r2xMjqlIMlu2Nf4lLdMeC5QLM6g42zw/edit> May 2013 Executive Director Report and Recommendations and provide any questions, feedback or issues.
In addition to the items in progress by the staff listed in the report:
· Dave to update access on OWASP Foundation Paypal account - Sarah and Kate to be given admin access, Dave and Alison should have view-only
· Seba to add Sarah as approver on ING - European - Checking account
· Tom to follow up with Sarah on request to be removed from EU entity paperwork
· Sarah to provide details on proposal to move US accounts to Capital one to Dave for review
· Sarah to put together charts on where OWASP income comes from (ie 40% from appsec conferences, x amount membership)
Pending Board Policy Items
1. <https://drive.google.com/a/owasp.org/folderview?id=0BxSfMVkfLvslVXdvUFV3NkxucWc&usp=sharing> Foundation Corporate Sponsorship & Membership Changes
2. <https://drive.google.com/a/owasp.org/folderview?id=0BxSfMVkfLvslVXdvUFV3NkxucWc&usp=sharing> Project Sponsorship & Branding Recommendations
3. <https://drive.google.com/a/owasp.org/folderview?id=0BxSfMVkfLvslVXdvUFV3NkxucWc&usp=sharing> Proposal to modify Board Election Terms
4. By-laws motion (Jim) to drop language requiring in-person board meeting attendance from section 3.03 - "and shall meet in person at least once annually at a date to be announced and agreed upon"
5. Need to develop a Conflict of Interest Policy (reference: <http://www.councilofnonprofits.org/conflict-of-interest> http://www.councilofnonprofits.org/conflict-of-interest)
For anyone who missed the meeting today that has questions/comments or needs clarification, feel free to ping me for a chat. If anyone who was at the meeting today has follow up items, I am available for you too. There is still quite a lot of planning, and more importantly "doing" ahead but this is a good starting place for us I think!
sarah.baso at owasp.org
Owasp-board mailing list
Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
Owasp-board mailing list
Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Owasp-board