[Owasp-board] Recording, Report, and Action items from today's Meeting

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Sat Jun 1 19:16:13 UTC 2013

On 1 Jun 2013, at 4:57, Eoin wrote:

> I'd like to see what the individual conference organisers feel is the
> value if hiring a full time  Conf manager, can we ask them please?
> People that have driven events like appsec eu, appsec USA and also
> regional events would be worth talking to.

I have said this many times to many people, however, I will put a record
down so that all of you I haven't been able to communicate with
personally will know my position.

I have done a systems study of OWASP. Projects, Conferences, Chapters
and Memberships. all have a strong relationship with each other. People
come for a project like the OWASP top 10; subsequently attend a
conference, and then join a local Chapter and become a member. Another
is a person joins a chapter, subsequently attends a conferences and then
joins a project. These are just a couple of the *many* examples of that
systems study of relationships. They all feed off each other. The result
of that study however was clear.

Conferences more than any of the other 3 areas is where we currently
capture the value in cash that we generate in projects, chapters and
memberships. **Pareto efficiency says then we need to really focus on
our conferences. Its our primary value collection point. It should be a
well oiled cash machine.**

I have known the Blackhat & Defcon crowd since it started (Jeff and I
were best friends throughout high school). And I can assure you that
there is a *TEAM* of paid people involved in addition to the volunteers;
like the proctors. Even the speakers are paid! I know many other
professional conference organisers as well. And one thing that is
consistent is that they have more than *one paid employee*.

Now I understand we have a different model, however it is a universal
law that to make money you must spend money. It is called **investing**.
And we have always, always, always needed to invest more into our
conferences - starting with building ***a team of people,*** and indeed
this is exactly what Dinis did to pull of the Summits. (Please note:
summits are not conferences, and did not generate revenue!)

Take a page from the summits; or blackhat, or deacon, or RSA or any
conference committee of your choosing: ***We don't just need to urgently
backfill Sarah's position, we also need to backfill it with perhaps four
additional people at a minimum. Investing in our Conferences, it is
investing in our revenue generation!***

Dennis
--
[Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc