[Owasp-board] Recording, Report, and Action items from today's Meeting

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sat Jun 1 04:33:57 UTC 2013

Since nobody else seems to care about the chapters here, I'm going to speak
up on this.

   - *Suggested cut Chapter Webinars allocation (no plans currently for
   spending) - $5000, this is a good item for chapters to fund themselves*

Of course there are no plans currently for spending.  We eliminated the
committee that created this budget item as part of an effort to encourage
innovation amongst chapters with little to no funds.  The idea was to use
chapter meetings in order to generate a catalog of recorded video content
and live webinars that would draw people to OWASP.  My understanding was
that the OWASP staff was supposed to take on the action and budget items
from the committee budget, but that obviously didn't happen as the $5k
allocation for the Chapter Webinars was never even promoted.  I'd like to
see even a small attempt to offer this up to the chapters with less than
$500 in their bank and see if they want to do it before we eliminate the
funds completely.  Pretty shitty IMHO.

   - *Proposed policy to eliminate individual membership split - 100% to
   Foundation. This needs details fleshed out and discussion, but is a
   starting point to raise awareness into the large amount of money that is
   sitting in the chapters and project funds (over $260,000 USD).*

Seriously, WTF?  Who do you think is out there pimping memberships to begin
with?  Looking at the current memberships, the Austin Chapter holds more
membership than any other chapter other than NYC.  Know why?  Because we
require them for LASCON attendance in order to 1) Add something of value to
becoming an OWASP member and 2) raise funds for the chapter.  If you
eliminate the chapter split, then you eliminate all incentive for a chapter
to promote membership.  This isn't raising awareness about money that is
sitting dormant.  This is taking away one of the very few methods that
chapters have to raise money.  Those funds are pretty piddly for the
chapters that are the problem here, but are huge for the ones that have
next to nothing in the bank.  If you have an issue with the way (or lack
of) chapters are spending their money, then why not just take it up with
the chapters that you take issue with?  If those funds are lying dormant,
then ask the leaders what they plan on doing with the money.  Make them
provide a budget.  Don't punish the chapters who have nothing because of a
few that aren't spending what they have.

Above you say that there's over $260k that is "sitting", but according to
the Scoreboard there's less than $230k total between both Chapters and
projects:

https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Atu4kyR3ljftdEdQWTczbUxoMUFnWmlTODZ2ZFZvaXc&output=html

To give you another perspective on this, out of 196 chapters and projects,
only 41 (21%) have a balance above $1k.  Only 13 (7%) have a balance above
$5k.  And only 5 (3%) have a balance above $10k.  The ones with the money
don't have it due to memberships.  They have it because they either ran a
conference or found sponsors.  Wanna know who gets affected by this
proposal?  Pakistan, Paraiba, Kuwait, Florianopolis,
Curitiba, St. Louis, Campinas, Mexico City, Goiania, Ypisilanti, and the
list goes on.  These are areas where the chapter leaders are already
struggling and now you're eliminating what little resources they have.

I continue to be concerned by the way that the Board views the chapters.
They are the lifeblood of this organization.  They are our ability to reach
out to areas we couldn't otherwise touch.  They are our future volunteers.
They host our sponsors.  They run the conferences that generate money for
OWASP to run.  It's not easy to run a chapter and it's often a completely
thankless job.  Please don't make the lives of these chapter leaders even
more difficult by taking away their already limited funding sources.

~josh