[Owasp-board] Project Branding Thread

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Wed Jul 10 18:11:14 UTC 2013

(renaming subject for threading sanity)

Dennis,

Interesting points. I like how you've called out specific examples for
consideration and included a view variations on the type of company and
their interests. It raises a very good question that we should all
consider, if we build a system that works, should we really care what the
motivations are of the sponsor?

What I mean is this, if we build a good system that is inline with our
values and also generates revenue for us to pursue our mission, then we
want companies to find that system advantages to them too. So, if company X
wants to reroute all their publicity dollars into sponsoring owasp
"something" (books, shirts, projects, whatever) then as long as we're happy
with the overall model design, we should welcome anyone who wants to "take
advantage of it".

The trick is for OWASP to clearly define how we want to be Vendor Neutral
(neutral is key word there, it's not absent of vendors) and in line with
our mission and values while creating a model that can involve companies so
everyone wins. This is a balancing act and we as the board need to search
for the right balance. Too much in favor of outside companies can lead to a
nascar feel and drive away our core supporters. Too much in the other
direction means we push away organizations that can help us grow, we likely
have much less revenue and we generally fail on the mission of raising
awareness because we become irrelevant.

The above thoughts are not for or against the proposal put forth by Jim,
but rather additional thoughts as we better capture how the OWASP ecosystem
will incorporate support from outside organizations.

--
Michael Coates | OWASP | @_mwc