[Owasp-board] Agenda for In Person Board Meeting

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Tue Jul 9 20:30:47 UTC 2013

I understand that GSOC is not an OWASP project.

Take the following use-case, using OWASP AppSensor as an example:

> A bunch of students from Google SOC help us with a new reference
> implementation; and we want to thank Google, and the students for
> making it happen in the 'credits'?

> We are now 'branding' our project, either in the documentation, or on
> the project website with a commercial entity, which is strictly
> forbidden by the new guidelines, however the ethical maxim 'credit
> where credit is due' (as well as gratitude and good manners) dictates
> going against the new guidelines.

Additional use-cases, again using OWASP AppSensor as an example:

1. WhiteHat Security (for profit, Security Vendor) gives us $10k to
print the OWASP AppSensor Handbook 2.0; and we **gratefully acknowledge
and thank** WhiteHat Security within the first few pages of the handbook
for making it possible  to give away hundreds of books.

2. What if it was IBM (for profit, non-security) instead that gave us
the $10k, and made it possible to give away hundreds of books?

3. What if it was the Mozilla foundation (non-profit, non-security)
instead that gave us the $10k, and made it possible to give away
hundreds of books?

4. What if it was Amnesty International (Human Rights NGO) instead that
gave us the $10k, and made it possible to give away hundreds of books?

5. What if it was the Department of Homeland Security (government grant)
instead that gave us the $10k, and made it possible to give away
hundreds of books?

TLDNR;

The current document defines what must not be done, and I like that
approach because it leaves open what can be done. And reduces what
people need to know to participate - less is more. :)

However, I think it would be good to clarify and better define the word
organisations. I have just demonstrated 5 different kinds of
organisations, and they can not all be lumped together in the same boat.
And I also think it would be useful to provide sample use cases like the
above for clarity.

Over all, this is shaping up to be a great document that represents a
positive and significant change for the community, that with a few
modifications really nails the message on the head.

Cheers,

Dennis

Dennis
--
[Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc
[Email me](mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org) or [schedule a

     Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...
     nothing is going to get better...It's not."
                                             -- The Lorax