[Owasp-board] Agenda for In Person Board Meeting

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Tue Jul 9 06:04:20 UTC 2013

On 8 Jul 2013, at 22:13, Michael Coates wrote:

> Board,
>
> We need to set the agenda for our in person board meeting at OWASP
> AppSec
> Europe. I've started the google document to gather topic ideas and
> areas of
> focus.
>
> Please add your ideas & thoughts.

I don't have permissions to add my comments.

<Kudos Jim>

First of all I want to thank Jim for all his hard work on this. Fund
raising and policy generation is very hard and thankless work. This is
exactly the kind of work the board should be focused on. Policy is how
you protect and preserve the OWASP culture; which is to say policies are
a codification of the OWASP community values. Policies preserve what is
good about OWASP for the future. This is critical, and very difficult as
there are always exceptions and many points of view to balance. In
addition, one doesn't know in advance if the policies will work out as
envisioned so it is very risky. An additional big thanks to Jim for
taking this very difficult but necessary first step.

</Kudos Jim>

In general I agree with Jim, however, I believe that when we are talking
about organisations; I *reading* an assumption that we are discussing
'commercial profit driven organisations.'

I say this because, I personally, however, do not think that I would
feel the same - if say Mozilla, Apache, or another open source charity
organisation were co-branding with OWASP (e.g. OWASP ZAP).

And further it makes me wonder how we handle the special case of Google
summer of code; which although is clearly altruistic and supports the
mission - we have no problem calling it ***Google*** summer of code;
which violates all the rules we have just proposed to set down!

Dennis
--
[Dennis Groves](http://about.me/dennis.groves), MSc
[Email me](mailto:dennis.groves at owasp.org) or [schedule a

     Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...
     nothing is going to get better...It's not."
                                             -- The Lorax