[Owasp-board] Vote by eMail

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Tue Jan 15 18:07:15 UTC 2013

Josh,

I think we've taken a wrong turn somewhere. Let me try and recenter the
overall idea.

Idea: Stagnant funds in chapter buckets go to waste. They sit idle and
don't benefit the mission in any way. Reallocating these funds to somewhere
where they can be spent would benefit the mission. This could be a general
chapter pool, this could be funding for a projects pool, towards
scholarships, towards initiative X (there a lots of options).

The details: The details are important. The idea is to apply this in
situations where the chapter is not active. What does that mean?
Chapter not active = no meetings in X months (perhaps x =12, we can discuss
and find the right point).

So, there is nothing forced about this. There is no stealing. Instead, it's
trying to find a way to allocate money that falls into a dark void when a
chapter goes inactive. To address your specific point, the Austin Chapter
is very active. This idea is not intended to have any impact whatsoever on
your chapter. "Frankly, within the bounds of the OWASP mission it doesn't
matter what we spend that money on because we earned the right to spend it"
Agreed!

I hope this helps explain the spirit of the idea. If you agree with the
overall spirit, then we can move into what defines an inactive chapter.

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Coates | OWASP | @_mwc