[Owasp-board] Vote by eMail

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Jan 15 16:29:00 UTC 2013

Michael, perhaps "stealing" is a bit much.  I'm curious what you would call
it if the government taxed you on every paycheck you made and then one day
realized that you had money in your checking or savings account that you
weren't spending and they decided to take it because you weren't using it
and they wanted to use it for someone or something else?

With the new profit sharing policy, this is exactly what you would be
proposing here.  There is a split (aka a "centralized governance tax") on
every method a chapter has to make money: membership, sponsorship, and
events.  This effectively becomes that Chapters contribution back to the
activities of the Foundation (aka "the government").  I can't speak for all
of the other chapters with significant funds, but I know that the Austin
Chapter has paid what it feels is it's fair share back to support the
Foundation.  I realize that in the end it's just all one big pot of money
with admins tracking allocation amounts, but think for a moment about the
message you'd be sending by taking funds from active chapters without their
consent.  In the case of the Austin Chapter, we have those significant
funds because we busted our asses working for it.  Frankly, within the
bounds of the OWASP mission it doesn't matter what we spend that money on
because we earned the right to spend it.  Taking those funds without
consent takes away all incentive to make those funds in the first place.

~josh