[Owasp-board] Vendor Neutrality

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Wed Feb 13 23:14:09 UTC 2013

This is an OWASP Chapter Training event with a  similar revenue split as the
OWASP Conferences.

While I think it could have been made more clear that this is an OWASP
Training event, and not just a Trustwave vendor training pitch in the email,
I wouldn't call this a major foul.

For example, it would have been better (in my opinion) if it said something
like:

"As a special introduction to the SpiderLabs instructor led course being
offered as part of the 1st ever OWASP NYC Chapter Training Event, I would
like to extend to you ..."

If this was just Trustwave trying to promote their own training event that
had nothing to do with OWASP, then yes, this would cross the line in my
opinion. (But its not).

-Dave

From: Tom Brennan <tomb at owasp.org>
Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:56 PM
To: "OWASPNYCMETRO-announce at meetup.com" <OWASPNYCMETRO-announce at meetup.com>
Subject: [OWASPNYCMETRO] NYC March 13th Training

Its coming....INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING IN NYC

Details: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/NYC

As a special introduction to the SpiderLabs instructor led course I would
like to extend to you a $500 discount code "TRUSTWAVE_500OFF" to be used
during check-out.

Hack Your Own Code: Advanced Training for Developers (2 Day Training Course)
This class provides security developers an exciting chance to hone their
programming skills while also learning to exploit common web
vulnerabilities.

 For more information on the (3) training classes available visit:

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/NYC

Have additional questions?

Call 973-202-0122 to discuss